Thursday, March 27, 2008

Preparing for VIR (March 2008)

Crunch Time; continued!

I've installed the proper eye-bolts for the outboard lap straps, and sub-belts without too much trouble. When it came time to do the inboard lap straps, however, I ran into a little problem... I wanted to attach the eye-bolts to the transmission tunnel, since it is stronger than the floor boards. After getting under the car to remove the exhaust, and heatshield for access, I found that the driveshaft center support bearing was falling apart!

Oh joy! Another project! (Isn't it funny how one project seems to lead to another?)

This wasn't too much of a problem for me as I work at a Land Rover dealership, and have access to a lift & air tools. The problem was that it was 6:30pm, and the dealer locks up at 8pm. Talk about a time crunch! A quick call to the BMW dealer verified they had the part in stock, and I was in a borrowed loaner car & on my way to the BMW dealer with no time to spare!

I got back with the part, and replaced the support bearing assembly without any trouble, got it put back in the car & got everything buttoned up just in time!

Wheew! Now to get those inboard lap belt mounts done!

No comments: